Interested in learning more about LGBTQIA+ identities and being recognized as a university-sponsored ally to the LGBTQIA+ community? Look no further! Safe Space offers two day training sessions to give you education and experience with the LGBTQIA+ community to provide you with the skills and resources to be an effective ally. These are two day training sessions, and attendance at BOTH sessions is required to complete the course and recieve your ally certificate.
The goals of our training sessions include:
- Provide an overview of what it means to be an "ally" for any ODU faculty, staff or student.
- Educate the community on issues/trends/concerns with LGBTQ students, faculty and staff.
- Provide additional resources (websites, theories, contacts, etc.) that might be of use to an ally.
See Who Our Campus Allies Are!
Interested in seeing how many of our campus faculty, staff, and graduates students are Safe Space Campus Allies? Click this link to view our spreadsheet with the Name, Title, and Contact info of our trained allies. We do not list undergraduate students for privacy concerns as well as knowing that this population is ever-changing.
Have you taken the training and don't see your name listed? Contact email@example.com and we can get you added!
Safe Space Campus Allies
See below for dates and registration for Spring 2022's Safe Space Ally Trainings for undergraduate students:
Session 1: Wednesday, January 19th from 10:00AM to 2:00PM (IN-PERSON)
Session 2: Monday, February 21st from 5:00PM to 9:00PM (VIRTUAL)
Session 3: Friday, April 1st from 10:00AM to 2:00PM (IN-PERSON)
To register, please click here.
**Interested in a Safe Space training for your student organization or group? Group trainings are available by request. Please contact Andrew Garber at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.**
See below for dates and registration for Spring 2022's Safe Space Faculty/Staff/Graduate Students Ally Trainings:
Session 1: Friday, January 28 from 09:00AM to 1:00PM (IN-PERSON)
Session 2: Wednesday, February 16th from 9:00AM to 1:00PM (IN-PERSON)
Session 3: Monday, March 21st from 1:00PM to 5:00PM (VIRTUAL)
To register, please click here.
**Group trainings for offices, organizations, teams, etc. are available by request. Please contact Andrew Garber at email@example.com for more information.**
We are happy that you are interested in becoming a Safe Space Ally Training facilitator and helping us to educate the Monarch community on LGBTQIA+ experiences and identities. We would love to talk with you about this! A few notes
- This opportunity is available to faculty, staff and graduate assistants. If you are an undergraduate student leader, we would love to still meet with you and discuss how you can also be engaged with the ODU LGBTQIA+ community.
- To qualify, you must register for and attend one Safe Space Certification session in its entirety as a participant, where you will sign our Ally Agreement, and note that you are interested in becoming a facilitator. If you have already attended a training, and now wish to become a faciltator, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After expressing interest, you will meet with one or both of the Safe Space co-chairs to discuss any questions you have, recieve your facilitation guide, and schedule your observation of a second Safe Space session. After your observation, there will be a debrief, and you will be added to the training schedule!
- If you have any questions about this policy or how it applies to you, please email email@example.com.