MFA (Painting), PhD (Art History) VCU, 2000 and 2005, respectively. Published in Woman's Art Journal, Smithsonian's American Art, and Journal of the Association for Study of Art of the Present.Monograph on Robert Ryman, Phaidon, 2017. Other texts on Trudy Benson, Jasmine Justice, and Thornton Willis.
Ph.D. in Art History, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2005)
M.F.A. in Painting, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2000)
Modern and contemporary abstract painting and criticism; problems of modernism and composition.
- Colaizzi, V. (2018). On Formal Noodling: Invention and Determination in Recent Abstract Painting. ASAP Journal (Association of the Study of the Art of the Present) 3 (1) , pp. 67-96.
- Colaizzi, V. (2016). Joan Thorne: Analytic Ecstasy. Woman’s Art Journal 37 (1) , pp. 37-45.
- Colaizzi, V. (2007). ‘How it Works:’ Stroke, Music, and Minimalism in the Early Paintings of Robert Ryman. American Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum 21 (1) , pp. 28-49.
- Colaizzi, V. (2017). Robert Ryman. Phaidon.
- Colaizzi, V. and Schubert, K. (2009). Robert Ryman: Critical Texts Since 1967. Karsten Schubert and Ridinghouse.
- Colaizzi, V. (2008). Placing Color: Brett Baker, Carrie Patterson, and Kayla Mohammadi. The Painting Center: St. Mary’s City Maryland, St. Mary’s College of Maryland.
- Colaizzi, V. (2016). ’I’m Not We’—Step Up, New Work Thornton Willis: Interviews & Essays New York: Muse Eek Press.
- 2015: ODU Summer Research Fellowship Program, Old Dominion University
- 2007: Winona State University Fellowship for research on Ryman monograph, Winona State University
- 2005: Professional Fellowship in Painting, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- 2004: Dean’s Dissertation Writing Fellowship, School of the Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2003: Paul and Fredrika Jacobs Fellowship, Department of Art History, Virginia Commonwealth University