H. Rodger Harvey
Ocean & Earth Sciences
PROFESSOR & ASSOCIATE DEAN
Ocean & Earth Sciences
- Chemical Oceanography
- marine organic geochemistry, organic contaminants, climate change
- Organic Geochemistry and Biogeochemistry. The sources, transformation and fate of natural and anthropogenic organic compounds in aquatic environments and their linkages with climate. Natural product and organic contaminant chemistry.
- Schwab, M. S., Rickli, J. D., Macdonald, R. W., Harvey, R. H., Haghipour, N., and Eglinton, Timothy, I (2021). Detrital neodymium and (radio)carbon as complementary sedimentary bedfellows? The Western Arctic Ocean as a testbed. GEOCHIMICA ET COSMOCHIMICA ACTA, 315, pp. 101-126.
- Lucca, B. M., Ressler, P. H., Harvey, R. H., and Warren, J. D. (2021). Individual variability in sub-Arctic krill material properties, lipid composition, and other scattering model inputs affect acoustic estimates of their population. ICES JOURNAL OF MARINE SCIENCE, 78 (4), pp. 1470-1484.
- Harvey, R. H., McMahon, R., and Taylor, K. A. (2021). Lipid markers and compound-specific carbon isotopes as diet and biosynthesis reflectors in the northern Neptune whelk Neptunea heros. MARINE ECOLOGY PROGRESS SERIES, 673, pp. 69-84.
- Vonnahme, T. R., Leroy, M., Thoms, S., van Oevelen, Dick, Harvey, R. H., Kristiansen, S., Gradinger, R., Dietrich, U., and Voelker, C. (2021). Modeling silicate-nitrate-ammonium co-limitation of algal growth and the importance of bacterial remineralization based on an experimental Arctic coastal spring bloom culture study. BIOGEOSCIENCES, 18 (5), pp. 1719-1747.
- McMahon, R., Taveras, Z., Neubert, P., and Harvey, R. H. (2021). Organic biomarkers and Meiofauna diversity reflect distinct carbon sources to sediments transecting the Mackenzie continental shelf. CONTINENTAL SHELF RESEARCH, 220,
- Mikan, M. P., Harvey, R. H., Timmins-Schiffman, E., Riffle, M., May, D. H., Salter, I., Noble, W. S., and Nunn, B. L. (2020). Metaproteomics reveal that rapid perturbations in organic matter prioritize functional restructuring over taxonomy in western Arctic Ocean microbiomes. ISME JOURNAL, 14 (1), pp. 39-52.
- Krayushkina, D., Timmins-Schiffman, E., Faux, J., May, D. H., Riffle, M., Harvey, R. H., and Nunn, B. L. (2019). Growth phase proteomics of the heterotrophic marine bacterium Ruegeria pomeroyi. SCIENTIFIC DATA, 6,
- Timmins-Schiffman, E., Mikin, M., Ting, Y. S., Harvey, H. R., and Nunn, B. L. (2018). MS analysis of a dilution series of bacteria: phytoplankton to improve detection of low abundance bacterial peptides. Sci. Reports, 8 (9276),
- Harvey, R. H., and Taylor, K. A. (2017). Alkane and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments and benthic invertebrates of the northern Chukchi Sea. Deep Sea Research II, 144, pp. 52-62..
- Timmins-Schiffman, E., May, D. H., Mikan, M., Riffle, M., Frazar, C., Harvey, R. H., Noble, W. S., and Nunn, B. L. (2017). Critical decisions in metaproteomics: Achieving high confidence protein annotations in a sea of unknowns. The ISME Journal, 11 (2), pp. 309-314.
- Pleuthner, R., Shaw, C. T., Schatz, M. J., Lessard, E. J., and Harvey, R. H. (2016). Lipid markers of diet history and their retention during experimental starvation in the Bering Sea euphausiid Thysanoessa raschii. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 134, pp. 190-203.
- Pinchuk, A. I., Harvey, R. H., and Eckert, G. L. (2016). Development of biochemical measures of age in the Alaskan red king crab Paralithodes camtschaticus (Anomura): Validation, refinement and initial assessment. Fisheries Research, 183, pp. 92-98.
- May, D. H., Timmins-Schiffman, E., Mikan, M. P., Harvey, R. H., Borenstein, E., Nunn, B. L., and Noble, W. S. (2016). An Alignment-Free “Metapeptide” Strategy for Metaproteomic Characterization of Microbiome Samples Using Shotgun Metagenomic Sequencing. Journal of Proteome Research, 15 (8), pp. 2697-2705.
- Bi H., Yu H., Pinchuk A., and Harvey, R. H. (2015). Interannual summer variability in euphausiids populations on the eastern Bering Sea shelf during the recent cooling event (2008–2010).. Deep Sea Research I, 95, pp. 12-19.
- Harvey, R. H., Taylor, K. A., Pie, H. V., and Mitchelmore, C. L. (2014). Polycyclic Aromatic and Aliphatic Hydrocarbons in Chukchi Sea Biota and Sediments and its Toxicological Response in the Arctic cod, Boreogadus saida. Deep Sea Research II, 102, pp. 32-55.
- Moore, E. K., Harvey, R. H., F., F. J., R., G. D., and L., N. B. (2014). Protein recycling in Bering Sea algal incubations. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 515, pp. 45-59..
- Harvey, R. H. (2013). Diatom Proteomics Reveals Unique Acclimation Strategies to Mitigate Fe Limitation. PLoS ONE, 8 (10), pp. e75653.
- Sigler, . F., and Harvey, R. H. (2013). An Introduction the Bering Sea Project: Volume II. Deep Sea Research II, 94, pp. 2-6.
- Moore, E. K., Nunn, B. L., Faux, J. F., Goodlett, D. R., and Harvey, R. H. (2012). Evaluation of electrophoretic protein extraction and database driven protein identification from marine sediments. Limnology and Oceanography, 10, pp. 353-366.
- Harvey, R. H., Pleuthner, R. L., Lessard, E. J., Bernhardt, M. J., and Shaw, C. T. (2012). Physical and biochemical Properties of the Euphausiids Thysanoessa inermis, Thysanoessa raschii, and Thysanoessa longipes in the Eastern Bering Sea.. Deep Sea Research II, 65, pp. 173-183.
- Moore, E. K., Nunn, B. L., Goodlett, D. R., and Harvey, R. H. (2012). Tracking individual diatom proteins through the marine water column: insights into the inputs and preservation mechanisms of protein in sediments.. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 83, pp. 324–359.
- Harvey, R. H. (2011). Novel lineages of Prochlorococcus and Synechococcus in the global oceans. ISME Journal pp. 1-13.
- Faux, J. F., Belicka, L. L., and Harvey, R. H. (2011). Organic sources and carbon sequestration in Holocene shelf sediments from the western Arctic Ocean. Continental Shelf Research, 31, pp. 1169-1179.
- Harvey, R. H., Ju, S. J., Kim, W. S., Feinberg, L., Shaw, T., and Peterson, W. T. (2010). The biochemical estimation of age in euphausiids: laboratory calibration and field comparisons. Deep Sea Research II, 57, pp. 663-671.
- Nunn, B. L., Ting, Y. S., Malmstroem, L., Tsai, Y. S., Squier, A., Goodlett, D. R., and Harvey, R. H. (2010). The path to preservation: Using proteomics to decipher the fate of diatom proteins during microbial degradation. Limnology & Oceanography, 55, pp. 1790.
- Harvey, R. H. (August, 2017). "Role of Sea Ice Extent in Climate-how to measure?" Oral Presentation presented at US-Norway Fulbright Workshop Oslo, Norway.
- Harvey, R. H. (January, 2014). Integrated Ecosystem Research in the Bering Sea, findings of the BEST-BSIERP Program Keynote/Plenary Address presented at Alaska Marine Science Symposium Anchorage, AK.
- 2017: Arctic Chair, Fulbright Distinguished Scholar program
- 2009: Regent’s Faculty Award for Research, Scholarship and Creativity Activity, University System of Maryland
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Harvey, R. H. "REU Site: An Interdisciplinary Program for Climate Change Science in Metropolitan Coastal Communities at Old Dominion University. " $356,321. Federal. March 1, 2017 - February 28, 2020
- Harvey, R. H. "Collaborative Research: Proteins As Functional Biomarkers: Integrating Organic Characterization With Proteomics To Track Routes For Carbon And Nitrogen Recycling And Preservation" $392,051. Federal. October 1, 2016 - September 30, 2019
- Harvey, R. H.; Filippino, K. C. "REU Site: An Interdisciplinary Program at ODU for Study of MET" $117,967. Federal. April 1, 2017 - April 1, 2018
- Harvey, R. H. "TO 4- Biophysical And Chemical Observations" $68,090. Foreign. May 1, 2015 - April 1, 2018
- Harvey, R. H. "Chukchi Sea Offshore Monitoring and Drilling area (COMIDA): The Hanna Shoal Ecosystem Study." $5,100,000. Federal. September, 2011 - September, 2017
- Harvey, R. H. "Collaborative Research: Global Ocean Repeat Hydrography, Carbon, And Tracer Measurements, 2015-2020" $3,890. Higher Education. December 15, 2016 - June 30, 2017
- Harvey, R. H. "Collaborative Research: Linking geochemistry and proteomics to reveal the impact of bacteria on protein cycling in the ocean. " $349,000. October, 2012 - September, 2016
- Harvey, R. H. "Major Research Instrumentation: Acquisition of a Hybrid Mass Spectrometry System for the Next Generation of Multidisciplinary Geosciences Research, Student Education and Training." $509,000. October, 2012 - September, 2015
- Harvey, R. H. "Development of Biochemical Measures of Age in the Alaskan Red King Crab: Validation, Refinement and Initial Assessment" $26,000. September, 2012 - August, 2015