- Abbott, N. J. (2022). ‘It all comes from me’: Bahu Begam and the making of the Awadh nawabi, circa 1765–1815. Modern Asian Studies .
- Abbott, N. J. (2020). A Mulk of One's Own: Languages of Sovereignty, Statehood, and Dominion in the Eighteenth-Century “Empire of Hindustan”. Itinerario 44 (3) , pp. 474–501.
- Abbott, N. J. (2019). “In that One the Ālif is Missing”: Eunuchs and the Politics of Masculinity in Early Colonial North India. Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 63 (1–2) , pp. 73–116.
- Abbott, N. J. (2018). "Bringing the Sarkār Back In: Translating Patrimonialism and the State in Early Modern and Early Colonial India." State Formations: Global Histories and Cultures of Statehood (pp. 124-37) Cambridge University Press.
- (May , 2022). Zabt and its Discontents: Property Confiscation, Patrimonial Kingship, and the Performance of Sovereignty in Mughal India, c. 1600–1800 Freie Universität Berlin: “Sovereignty, 1300-1800: Terrestrial and Maritime Negotiations” .
- (October , 2021). A Rule of Confiscation for Late-Mughal India: Zabt (“escheat”) in Eighteenth-Century Awadh 49th Annual Conference on South Asia .
- (December , 2019). Sarkars into States: Language, Family, and Politics in Early Colonial North India Research Colloquium, Newberry Library (Chicago, IL) .
- (March , 2019). Proprietary Sovereignty, Familial Finance, and the Making of the Shuja’i Dispensation: Awadh, 1765–75 Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference .
- (October , 2018). A Late-Mughal Westphalia? Provincial Borders, Regional Sovereignty, and the 1765 Treaties of Allahabad 47th Annual Conference on South Asia .
- (October , 2018). A Mulk of one’s own? Sub-imperial Sovereignty and Territorial Statehood in Late-Mughal Persianate Diplomacy, 1757–1775 Institute of Iranian Studies, Vienna: “Beyond the Islamicate Chancery” .
- (April , 2018). Cracked Backs and Crooked Waists: Eunuchs, Gender and Verbal Abuse in Early Modern Awadh Humboldt University, Berlin: “Servants’ Pasts: 2nd International Conference” .
- (December , 2017). ‘An Enemy of Our Family: Family, State, and Domestic Authority in the Awadh khord mahal, c. 1780–1815 Center for Historical Research, The Ohio State University: “Family, Kinship and Households: New Perspectives” .
- (October , 2017). Patronage, Politics, and Persian Historiography in Nineteenth-Century Awadh 46th Annual Conference on South Asia .
- (May , 2017). Gifts, Bribes, or the Cost of Doing Business? Regulating rishvat in Early Colonial India International Meeting on Law and Society .
- (April , 2017). ‘But in this one the alif is missing’: Eunuchs and the Politics of Masculinity Annual Gender and Women’s Studies Conference, University of Wisconsin–Madison, “Ordinary Space, Extraordinary Living” .
- 2020: Summer Stipend, National Endowment for the Humanities
- 2019: National Endowment for the Humanities Research Fellowship, Newberry Library
- 2019: Summer Research Fellowship, ODU Research Foundation, Old Dominion University
- 2018: Summer Research Grant, College of Arts & Letters, Old Dominion University
- 2015: Dissertation Fellowship, Center for Historical Research, The Ohio State University
- 2013: Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship, U.S. Department of Education