Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, (2011)
M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, (2007)
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic, (2005)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Tahvildari, N. "Nature-Based Features for Coastal Resilience: Quantifying Wave Dissipation" $80,000. Federal. June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2019
- Tahvildari, N. and Ma, G. "Modeling the Protection Services of Flood Mitigation Measures in the City of Franklin, Virginia" $30,000. Private. August 2016 - August 2018
- Tahvildari, N. "Quantifying wave dissipation effects of living shorelines: Oyster reef FS" $5,000. Higher Education. July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018
- Tahvildari, N. "Nature-bases features for coastal resilience quantifying wave dissipation" $39,289. Higher Education. June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018
- Tahvildari, N. and Cetin, M. "Integrated Dynamic Modeling Approach-Flooding of Coastal Transportation Infrastructure" $66,692. Higher Education. May 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018
- Tahvildari, N. "Quantifying Wave Dissipation Effects of Living Shorelines: Field Study" $5,000. Higher Education. September 12, 2016 - December 11, 2017
- Tahvildari, N. "Quantifying Wave Dissipation Effects of Living Shorelines: Numerical Modeling" $5,000. Federal. September 2016 - September 2017
- Tahvildari, N. "Investigating the Effects of Nature-based Coastal Measures in Storm Damage Mitigation" $7,000. Old Dominion University. February 1, 2017 - June 1, 2017
- Tahvildari, N. and Cetin, M. "Investigating The Vulnerability of The Transportation Infrastructure In Hampton Roads Region To Extreme Weather And Sea Level Rise" $64,770. State. July 1, 2016 - May 22, 2017
- Tahvildari, N. "Dissipative effect of coastal vegetation on water waves" $7,000. Old Dominion University. June 2015 - August 2015
Coastal Engineering, Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Impacts on Coastal Flooding, Natural and Nature-Based Mitigation of Coastal Hazards, Computational Modeling and Field Observations of Coastal Processes
Refer to my personal website for up-to-date information on my research grants and publications.
- Castrucci, L. and Tahvildari, N. (2018). Modeling the impacts of sea level rise on storm surge inundation in flood-prone urban areas of Hampton Roads, Virginia. Marine Technology Society Journal 52 (2) , pp. 92-105.
- Tahvildari, N., Kaihatu, J. M. and Saric, W. S. (2016). Generation of long subharmonic internal waves by surface waves. Ocean Modelling 106 , pp. 12-26.
- Tahvildari, N. and Jamali, M. (2012). Cubic nonlinear analysis of generation of interfacial waves by a surface wave in an open two-layer fluid. Fluid Dynamics Research 44.
- Kaihatu, J. M.. and Tahvildari, N. (2011). The combined effect of wave-current interaction and mud-induced damping on nonlinear wave evolution. Ocean Modelling 41 , pp. 22-34.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (2011). Optimized determination of viscous mud properties using a nonlinear wave-mud interaction model. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 28 , pp. 1486–1503.
- Castrucci, L. and Tahvildari, N. (2017). Hydrodynamic Modeling of Storm Surge Flooding in the Transportation Infrastructure in Southeast Virginia Anchorage, AK: MTS/IEEE Oceans Conference.
- Tahvildari, N. (2016). Numerical Modeling of the Interactions between Nonlinear Waves and Arbitrarily Flexible Vegetation Antalya: Proceedings of 35th Conference on Coastal Engineering.
- Tahvildari, N., Lynett, P. J.. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (2014). A numerical code for waves in a two-layer shallow fluid ASME 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (2011). Generation of oblique interfacial waves due to resonant interaction with surface gravity waves in shallow water MTS/IEEE Oceans Conference, Kona, HI.
- Tahvildari, N. and Jamali, M. (2009). Analytical Cubic Solution to Weakly Nonlinear Interactions between Surface and Interfacial Waves Honolulu, HI: ASME 28th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (2009). Inverse deduction of mud parameters from free surface wave energy in muddy coasts (pp. 2870–2877) Vancouver, BC: IAHR 33rd Congress.
- Tahvildari, N. and Sharifineyestani, E. (June , 2017). Numerical Modeling of Non-breaking Wave Dissipation in the Coastal Environment Oral Presentation Gordon Research Conference - Coastal Ocean Dynamics .
- Tahvildari, N. (January 26, 2017). Generation of Nonlinear Internal Waves: From Mid-ocean Ridges to Fluidized Coastal Sediments Oral Presentation Department of Ocean, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences Seminar Series Norfolk, VA.
- SharifiNeyestani, E. and Tahvildari, N. (December , 2016). Propagation of Nonlinear Surface Waves over Viscoelastic Mud Oral Presentation American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting San Francisco, CA.
- Tahvildari, N. (September 12, 2016). Modeling Non-breaking Wave Dissipation in the Nearshore Oral Presentation Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography Seminar Series Norfolk, VA.
- Tahvildari, N., Zeller, R. B.. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (February , 2016). A Numerical Study on Wave Evolution in Interaction with Flexible Vegetation Oral Presentation Ocean Sciences Meeting New Orleans, LA.
- Tahvildari, N., Kaihatu, J. M.. and Saric, W. S.. (August , 2015). Multi-Harmonic Wave Pattern over Lutocline Oral Presentation Young Coastal Scientists and Engineers Conference-North America .
- Tahvildari, N., Peacock, T. and Fringer, O. B.. (February , 2014). A parametric study of nonlinear and nonhydrostatic effects on internal tide generation over a submerged ridge Poster AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting Honolulu, HI.
- Tahvildari, N., Fringer, O. B.. and Peacock, T. (June , 2013). Nonhydrostatic and nonlinear energetics of internal tides over submerged ridges Poster Ocean Turbulence Conference Santa Fe, NM.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. (October , 2011). Spatial Evolution of Nonlinear Long Interacting Surface and Interfacial Waves Poster 12th International Workshop on Wave Forecasting and Hindcasting Kona, HI.
- Tahvildari, N. (June , 2011). Nonlinear wave interactions in a two-layer fluid Oral Presentation Stanford University.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (December , 2010). Resonant interactions between long weakly nonlinear surface and Poster AGU Fall Meeting San Francisco, CA.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (February , 2010). Nonlinear resonant generation of two interfacial waves due to interaction with a surface wave in shallow water Oral Presentation AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting Portland, OR.
- Tahvildari, N. and Kaihatu, J. M.. (November , 2008). Invertibility and Predictability in Wave–Mud interaction Oral Presentation AGU Chapman Conference on Physics of Wave-Mud Interaction Amelia Island, FL.
- Tahvildari, N. (January , 2007). Nonlinear shallow water waves and Kortweg–de Vries (KdV) equations Oral Presentation Advanced Mathematics Seminar Tehran, Iran.
- 2016: ExCEEd Teaching Fellow 2016, ASCE
- 2014: Outreach for Engineers Specialty Forum Scholarship, Offshore Mechanics and Ocean Engineering Conference (ASME-IPTI),
- 2011: Student Poster Program Award, MTS/IEEE Ocean’s Conference, Kona, HI
- 2009: Jelesnianski fellowship in coastal engineering, Texas A&M University