Kenneth B. Kahn, Ph.D., is a Professor and Dean of the Strome College of Business at Old Dominion University. In the role of Dean, he serves as chief executive officer for the College and strives to enhance the college’s reputation as a leader in business education, scholarship, and research. Prior to joining Old Dominion University, Dr. Kahn was a Professor and Dean of Cleveland State University’s Monte Ahuja College of Business. He also has held leadership and faculty positions at Virginia Commonwealth University, Purdue University, The University of Tennessee, and Georgia Tech.
Kahn's teaching and research interests include product innovation, product management, and demand forecasting of current and new products. He has published more than 50 articles in prestigious journals, authored three books on product planning and forecasting, and edited the PDMA Handbook on New Product Development. Dr. Kahn is broadly recognized as one of the world's leading researchers in the field of innovation management. In Spring 2021, he was named to Stanford University's list of the Top 2% Most Cited Researchers in the World.
His industrial experience includes serving as an industrial engineer and project engineer for Weyerhaeuser Co. and a manufacturing engineer for Respironics Inc. He has extensive contacts in the private sector through his corporate consulting and training endeavors.
Kahn earned a Ph.D. in Marketing and a Master of Science in Industrial Engineering from Virginia Tech and a Bachelor of Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech.
- Kahn, K. (2022). Innovation Is Not Entrepreneurship, nor Vice Versa. Journal of Product Innovation Management 39 (4) , pp. 467-473.
- Kahn, K. and Candi, M. (2021). Investigating the Relationship between Innovation Strategy and Performance. Journal of Business Research 132 (8) , pp. 56-66.
- Kahn, K. (2019). NPD Process Formality Across Global Regions. International Journal of Innovation Science 11 (1) , pp. 102-118.
- Kahn, K. and Chase, C. (2018). The State of New Product Forecasting. Foresight: The Journal of Applied Forecasting 51 (Fall) , pp. 24-31.
- Kahn, K. (2018). Understanding Innovation. Business Horizons 61 (3) , pp. 453-460.
- Candi, M. and Kahn, K. (2016). Functional, Emotional, and Social Benefits of New B2B services. Industrial Marketing Management 57 (August) , pp. 177-184.
- Kahn, K. (2014). Solving the Problems of New Product Forecasting. Business Horizons 57 (5) , pp. 607-615.
- Kahn, K. and Dempsey, J. (2012). An Investigation of Centers for Innovation. International Journal of Innovation Science 4 (2) , pp. 91-101.
- Barczak, G. and Kahn, K. (2012). Identifying New Product Development Best Practice. Business Horizons 55 (3) , pp. 293-305.
- Kahn, K., Barczak, G., Nicholas, J., Ledwith, A. and Perks, H. (2012). An Examination of NPD Best Practices. Journal of Product Innovation Management 29 (2) , pp. 180-192.
- Kahn, K. (2021). Innovation and New Product Planning. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Kahn, K., Evans, S. Kay., Slotengraaf, R. and Uban, S. (2013). The PDMA Handbook on New Product Development (3rd Edition). John Wiley and Sons.
- Kahn, K. (2023). Approaches to New Product Forecasting The PDMA Handbook on New Product Development (4th Edition) Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons.