Due to winter weather, Old Dominion University will be closed on Friday, January 21. During this time, all classes and other scheduled activities will be canceled at all locations, including ODUOnline, higher education centers and remote work.
Essential personnel should report for duty as normal, unless advised otherwise by their supervisor. Other personnel may need to report for duty as requested by their supervisor.
While University officials make closing decisions based on the forecast and best available information about roadways, sidewalks and travel, employees and students are urged to exercise caution when considering traveling to campus or the need to leave early during times of inclement weather. Where operationally feasible, the University encourages faculty and supervisors to exercise flexibility and sensitivity to requests from students or employees experiencing challenges during inclement weather.
For students staying on campus, residence halls will remain open and staffed. Students parking on campus are asked to move their vehicles from surface parking lots or side streets to a parking garage. Dining hours and locations, along with limited activities for those staying on campus, are noted below.
Changes to Hours of Operation:
- For a schedule of all Dining Services, visit: http://olddominion.campusdish.com
- Webb University Center will remain open with regular hours (6 a.m. - midnight). Student Activities Council will host a free movie night in North Café at 7 p.m. on Friday, with "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions." All other programming and events are canceled until the University reopens, with the exception of some virtual meetings for student groups. Please reach out to your virtual event organizer to confirm whether it is still scheduled.
- The Libraries and Learning Commons at Perry Library will close at 10 p.m. Thursday and will reopen at 10 a.m. Friday.
- Monarch Transit, the campus shuttle, will operate regular hours (until 8 p.m.) Thursday and is expected to resume normal operations at 9 a.m. Friday. SafeRide will operate 7 - 10 p.m. Thursday and is expected to resume operations when the University reopens. Check the ODU mobile app (transit) or http://odu.edu/monarchtransit for the most up-to-date operational status based on road conditions.
- The Student Recreation Center will close at 10 p.m. Thursday and will operate 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday; 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday. All formal programs, events and activities, including the swimming pool, climbing wall and University Fitness Center are canceled until the University reopens. The University Village Gym will be closed Friday and reopen on Monday.
- The Barry Art Museum will be closed on Friday.
- For up-to-date game times and cancellations for all athletics events, please visit odusports.com.
University officials will continue monitoring the storm in close collaboration with the National Weather Service and state and local agencies. They will share updates, as they develop, via the ODU Alerts System, University's website (www.odu.edu), social media pages and local news outlets.
For additional information about severe weather preparedness, visit odu.edu/emergency.
For the latest official weather forecast, visit weather.gov.
For traffic and road conditions, call 511 or go to www.511virginia.org.
Any campus emergencies should be reported to University Police by calling 757-683-4000. To sign-up for ODU Alerts, visit www.odu.edu/alerts.
Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.