- Doctor of Philosophy in Education (OTS) with concentrations in Business and Industry Training, Career and Technical Education (CTE), and Technology Education
- Education Specialist (OTS)
- Instructional Design and Technology (M.S. Ed. and Ph.D. in Education degrees)
- Master of Science (OTS) with concentrations in Business and Industry Training, Career and Technical Education (CTE), Community College Teaching, and STEM Education
- Mathematics Specialist Program
- Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Program in Marketing Teacher Education
- Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Program in Mathematics Teacher Education
- Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Program in Science Teacher Education
- Post-Baccalaureate Endorsement Program in Technology Teacher Education
The Department of STEM Education and Professional Studies offers five majors under the Bachelor of Science, Occupational and Technical Studies (OTS) degree. The five majors are:
- Business and industry training
- Fashion merchandising
- Industrial technology
- Marketing education
- Technology education
- Monarch Teach
Program sheets are available in Portable Document File (PDF) format.
- Minor in Fashion Merchandising
- Minor in Marketing Education
- Minor in Training and Development
Technology Education Emphasis
The Military Career Transition Program (MCTP) Technology Education emphasis is an off-campus, evening program designed for separating and/or retiring military personnel who wish to pursue teaching as a second career. Program participants earn a Virginia teaching license in technology education and either a Master of Science or Bachelor of Science degree.
The Instructional Design and Technology program at Old Dominion University's Darden College of Education provides graduate students with a foundation in instructional design, cognitive theory, and research. The program offers both Master of Science (MS Ed) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)degrees to students who attend classes either on our main campus in Norfolk, Virginia or via a unique distance learning option available to students who reside elsewhere. Our faculty engages students in a rigorous course of study tailored to meet individual educational and career interests. Research opportunities and course work ensures that all students receive a solid foundation in Instructional Design
- Instructional Design Theory
- Human Performance Technology
- Gaming and Simulation
- Distance Education
- Evaluation & Assessment
- Trends and Issues in Instructional Technology
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research
Welcome to the Department of STEM Education and Professional Studies! We are proud to offer teacher preparation programs in marketing, mathematics, science, and technology. Additionally, for business, industry, and education professionals we offer programs in fashion merchandising, industrial technology, instructional design & technology, training specialist, as well as a host of certification and graduate program offerings. Please review this site for details on all of our program offerings.
Our faculty is world renowned for their teaching, research, and service. All STEMPS faculty actively incorporate the latest technology in their teaching and many offer courses through distance learning and blended course formats. A review of faculty web pages will highlight their impressive publications, presentations, and service activities. It is clear to see that each faculty member is a global leader for their professional activities but you will quickly learn that their most impressive quality is the commitment they make to their students. We pride ourselves on our service to students!
I hope you will spend some time browsing this site and learn more about the Department of STEM Education and Professional Studies. You will quickly see that we are dedicated to our students and our disciplines. Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to set up an advising appointment.
Dr. Ginger Watson, Interim Chair
STEM Education and Professional Studies