Teacher Candidate Internship Information and Placement Application
|Semester of Internship for all Locations||Application Available
||Late Deadline*||Extended Deadline**
|Fall 2014||October 1, 2013||
February 7, 2014
|March 1, 2014||April 1, 2014|
|Spring 2015||April 1, 2014||August E1, 2014||September 1, 2014||October 1, 2014|
|Fall 2015||October 1, 2014||February 1, 2015
||March 1, 2015||April 1, 2015|
|Spring 2016||April 1, 2014||August 1, 2015||September 1, 2015
||October 1, 2015|
*placements are not guaranteed after this date
**Applications are not accepted after the extended dealine
- Application (Print the entire Application packet in single pages).
- Teacher Candidates requesting a placement in the following school division(s) must attach the respective form with the Application packet. Click on the title to download the form:
- Chesapeake Public Schools
- Norfolk Public Schools
- Suffolk Public Schools
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools (fillable form)
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.
- Complete and sign all the forms in the application packet.
- Keep the Cover Letter.
- After you have met with your academic advisor, submit the completed and signed application packet to Teacher Education Services, 152 Education Building, by the established deadline above.
- Application (Print the entire Application packet)
- Schedule an appointment with your local ODU Site Director.
- Complete and sign all the forms in the application packet with your Site Director.
- Keep the Cover Letter.
- Submit the completed and signed application packet to your Site Director by established deadline above. The completed application packet is sent by Site Director to Teacher Education Services, 152 Education Building.
- Teacher Candidates requesting a placement in the following school divisions must attach the respective form with the Application packet. Download the form, print it, complete it, sign it, and attach to the application:
- Arlington Public Schools
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Roanoke County Public Schools
- Fredericksburg City Public Schools
- Prince William County Public Schools
- Henrico County Public Schools
- Stafford County Public Schools
- Spotsylvania County Public Schools
- Frederick County Public Schools: Currently, we are not able to accept placement requests for Frederick County. We are working with Frederick County to resolve this situation. Please identify a surrounding county in your placement request.
For a of school divisions in the Commonwealth of Virginia requiring Backgroung Check for student teaching placement, see the list below. The school division will inform you which forms need to be completed.
- Praxis I, Praxis Core, or equivalent;
- Praxis II, including individual sub-test scores on the back page;
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment;
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) for pk-3, pk-6 and special education programs;
- Copy of the First Aid/CPR/AED Training. Complete the training.
- ALL course work, content knowledge and professional education as listed in your curriculum, must be completed prior to the orientation meeting;
- ALL GPA and grades requirements must be met as listed in your curriculum
This handbook is to guide teacher candidates, supervising clinical faculty, university faculty, administrators, university supervisors and other personnel involved in the teacher candidate internship. In this handbook we anticipate your questions and provide information that will facilitate an effective teacher candidate internship. This handbook addresses objectives, policies and procedures, roles and responsibilities, activities, and evaluations.
Download the handbook
Teaching is a rewarding yet demanding profession. The teacher internship is the capstone feld experience of your program. Professionally, teacher candidates should demonstrate their commitment to a successful internship experience. This commitment is reflected by the teacher candidate's efforts in three areas that comprise: Professional Disposition, Efective Skills and Instruction, and Knowledge of the Specific Content Area.
The candidate is evaluated in these three areas during the teacher candidate internship.
Complete the Teacher Candidate Internship Evaluations
The purpose of this option is to allow ODU teacher candidates to accept a full time teaching contract when offered at the time they are to begin student teaching. This option allows the teacher candidate to participate in and receive credit for their student teaching requirement. This option is not allowable for candidates who are already teaching under a provisional license.
Download and print application and policy
Old Dominion University graduates or post-baccalaureate endorsement program completers who are applying for an initial Virginia teacher license must submit the following documents to Teacher Education Services, Education Building, Room 152, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia 23529: Effective July 1, 2013 Candidates must submit the new Application for a Virginia License effective July 1, 2013. Follow the instructions by clicking on the link below for Application and Checklist for Teachers and Administrators Applying for a Virginia License. FMI: 757-683-3348