HACE Announces Awards, Elects New Officers
May 25, 2017
Old Dominion University's HACE (Hourly and Classified Employee) Association chapter held its annual luncheon on May 24 to induct new officers, distribute awards and celebrate milestones within the organization.
Augustine "Austin" Agho, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs served as the event's guest speaker. During his address, Agho highlighted key work-environment attributes that result in successful and long-term employees.
Agho said, based on his research, he believes having a trustworthy and loyal environment with a caring supervisor creates success in any workplace.
"It makes a big difference. This is a community. We know as faculty and administrators that this University would crumble without our staff and I will be the first to admit that," he said.
Following the address, two HACE members were recognized with awards. The Staff Member of the Year Award went to Peggy Kinard, of the department of psychology; and the Rookie Staff Member of the Year Award went to Karen Barnes, of the office of emergency management and fire safety.
The newly inducted HACE officers for 2017 - 2018 are:
- President: Tanya McCown, Honors College;
- Vice President: Kriste Salamon, College of Health Sciences;
- Treasurer: Margaret Oliver, University Libraries; and
- Secretary: Pippa Womack, English Department
HACE supports the missions and integrity of Old Dominion University and seeks to enhance the quality of life for hourly and classified staff.
HACE activities include the following:
- Helping form campus policies by representation on university committees to improve wages and salaries, working conditions, and better benefits
- Honoring outstanding employees with "Staff Member of the Year" and "Rookie Staff Member of the Year" awards
- Promoting tuition waivers for staff
- Representing your voice to our state of Virginia legislature
- Promoting and conducts charitable drives
- Hosting HACE Welcome Back Social in the fall and the HACE Luncheon each spring
Membership in HACE is open to all persons designated by the University as classified or hourly staff.
To learn more about the association, visit the HACE website.