Born in Williamsburg, Virginia. Undergraduate degree from Guilford College. Married with two children.
Ph.D. in Teacher Education, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, (2010)
M.S. in Library Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (1982)
B.S. in Mathematics, Guilford College, (1979)
- 076 School Library Certification
- Sponsoring Organization: State of North Carolina
- Date Obtained:
- National Board Certification School Library Media PreK-12
- Sponsoring Organization: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Date Obtained: 2001-11-01
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Dickinson, G. K., Doll, C. A. and Kimmel, S. "NextGen2 (not funded)" $500,000. Federal. -
- Kimmel, S., Dickinson, G. K. and Doll, C. A. "NextGen2: Service Leadership for the Next Generation of School Librarians" $478,635. Federal. -
- Kimmel, S. and Dickinson, G. K. "Nooks and Kindles in School Libraries" $2,500. Old Dominion University. February 2011 - August 2011
- Dickinson, G. K., Haun, J. and Kimmel, S. "(not funded) Inquire Prime" $247,891. Federal. -
The impact of school librarian/teacher collaboration on professional learning and student learning. Youth literacy across technologies.
- Mardis, M. A., Kimmel, S. and Pasquini, L. A. (2018). Building of causality: A future for school librarianship research and practice. Knowledge Quest 46 (4) , pp. 20-27.
- Garrison, K., Forest, D. and Kimmel, S. (2013). Translated literature in your library: The Mildred L. Batchelder Award. ACCESS: Journal of the Australian School Library Association 27 (4) , pp. pp. 12 - 16.
- Burns, E., Kimmel, S. and Garrison, K. (2013). How common is common? An analysis of the recommended text exemplars.. Teacher Librarian 41 (1) , pp. 23-27.
- Kimmel, S., Dickinson, G. K. and Doll, C. A. Dispositions in the Twenty-First Century School Library Profession. School Libraries Worldwide.
- Kimmel, S. (2012). Collaboration as school reform: Are there patterns in the chaos of planning with teachers?. School Library Research 15 , pp. 16.
- Kimmel, S. (2012). Deep Reading: Using Technology to Engage, Connect, & Share. Library Media Connection 30 (5) , pp. 10-12.
- Kimmel, S. (2012). What's the appeal: Reader's advisory in school libraries. Library Media Connection 30 (5) , pp. 44-45.
- Kimmel, S. (2012). Seeing the Clouds: The School Librarian as Broker in Collaborative Planning with Teachers. School Libraries Worldwide 18 (1) , pp. 10.
- Kimmel, S. (2012). The School Library: A Space for Mathematical Thinking, Learning, and Sharing. Library Media Connection 30 (4).
- Kimmel, S. (2011). The School Library: A Space for Critical Thinking about Data and Mathematical Questions. Library Media Connection 30 (2) , pp. 26-28.
- Kimmel, S. (2011). "Consider with Whom You are Working": Discourse Models of School Librarianship in Collaboration. School Library Media Research 14.
- Carlone, H. B., Haun, J. and Kimmel, S. (2010). Tempered radicals: Elementary teachers' narratives of teaching science within and against prevailing meanings of schooling. Cultural Studies of Science Education/Springer Science , pp. 941-965.
- Kimmel, S. Voices at the table: Collaboration and intertextuality Collaborative Models for Librarian and Teacher Partnerships (pp. 18) Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Kimmel, S. and Garrison, K. Pride and Perseverance: Pursuing the Doctorate Degree for Librarians Continuing Education for Librarians: Workshops, Conferences, College and Related Education McFarland.
- Garrison, K., Kimmel, S. and Doll, C. A. ( ). Expanding and Transforming our Understanding of Culture in Children's Literature ALISE Annual Meeting Dallas, TX.
- Haun, J., Kimmel, S., Carlone, H. B. and Vaughn, M. ( ). Doing the work of reform: Teachers’ narratives of hard-won accomplishments National Association for Research in Science Teaching Baltimore, MD.
- Dickinson, G. K., Kimmel, S. and Doll, C. A. (January , 2013). Inquiry into Common Core Professional Practice: Educating School Librarians for the Future Paper ALISE annual conference Seattle, WA.
- Kimmel, S., Forest, D. and Garrison, K. (January 25, 2013). The beauty of translation: Tough topics in the Batchelder Award titles Paper ALISE Annual Meeting Seattle, WA.
- Burns, E., Garrison, K. and Kimmel, S. (January 22, 2013). Does common include diversity: An investigation of diversity in recommended texts from the Common Core. Poster ALISE Annual Conference Seattle, WA.
- Kimmel, S., Garrison, K. and Forest, D. (August , 2012). Travelling from Language to Language: Culture Translated for Youth Crossing Boundaries: Translations and Migrations London, UK.
- Kimmel, S. and Dickinson, G. K. (July 11, 2012). Grant writing for libraries serving children Lecture Webjunction Web.
- Kimmel, S. (January 19, 2012). Stone Soup: Re-Telling the Story to Extend our Understanding of Collaboration ALISE 2012 Annual Conference Dallas, TX.
- Kimmel, S. and Garrison, K. (January 17, 2012). Trends in Translation: the Mildred L. Batchelder Award Poster ALISE Annual Conference Dallas, TX.
- Kimmel, S., Dickinson, G. K. and Doll, C. A. (November 17, 2011). Shift Happens Experience Learning in Your School Library Richmond, VA.
- (October 28, 2011). Collaboration as School Reform: Are there Patterns in the Chaos of Planning with Teachers? American Association of School Librarians Biennial Meeting Minneapolis, MN.
- Kimmel, S. and Hinton-Johnson, K. (October 28, 2011). Taken Off the Page: Reading Aloud as Professional Development American Association of School Librarians National Conference Minneapolis, MN.
- Kimmel, S., Dickinson, G. K. and Doll, C. A. (October 7, 2011). Shift Happens: The future of school libraries in an era of change Other NCSLMA Annual Conference Winston Salem, NC.
- (April , 2011). From Shhh to Inquiry American Educational Research Association 2011 New Orleans, LA.
- Kimmel, S., Haun, J., Carlone, H. B. and Vaughn, M. (March 1, 2008). Tempered radicals: Elementary teachers’ narratives of teaching science within and against prevailing meanings of school American Educational Research Association New York, NY.