Linda Bennington Ph.D., RN
245D VIRGNIA BEACH CENTER 1881 UNIVERSITY DRIVE
VIRGINIA BEACH, 23453
I obtained my Ph.D. in Nursing at Virginia Commonwealth University. I originally majored in Chemistry and Biochemistry at West Virginia University and then discovered I enjoyed working with people more than being isolated in a lab.
Ph.D. in Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2010)
M.S.N. in , Old Dominion University, (1995)
B.S.N. in Nursing, Old Dominion University, (1983)
M.S. in Biochemistry and Nutrition, West Virginia University, (1968)
B.S. in Chemistry, West Virginia University, (1967)
- Teacher Certification
- Sponsoring Organization: West Virginia State University
- Date Obtained: 1996-01-01
- Sponsoring Organization: Virginia Board of Nursing
- Date Obtained: 1983-07-30
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Cartagena, D. "Cartagena, D. C. (PI), Tremblay, B.M., (PI), Hawkins, Janice, Parrott, J. M., Bennington, L. K., Claiborne, D.M., & Bruhn, A. M. grant application to Healthy Communities Action Team (HCAT) Project Workplan 2023-2024: Nutrition right from the start. A Southeast Virginia Healthy Community Action Team for approximately $30,000/year for 3 years. Submitted 10/22." $30,000. State. -
- Colberg-Ochs, S. R., Swain, D. P., Somma, C. Thomas., Sechrist, S. R. and Bennington, L. K. "Exercise Timing and Maximal Glycemic Benefits for Type 2 Diabetic Individuals" $9,750. Private. November 2006 - August 2007
- Bennington, L. K. "National Research Service Award (NRSA)" $30,000. -
Pregnancy and Childbirth
Complementary Alternative Medicine
- Wilsey, C. (2023). Development and initial validation of a sexual and gender minority competency-based survey for health service professionals. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry..
- Long, M. (2020). Perinatal depression screening rates, correlates, & treatment recommendations in an obstetric population.. Families, Systems, & Health. 38 (4) , pp. 369-379.
- Long, M. (2020). Psychometric assessment of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale in an obstetric population. . Psychiatry Research 291:113161 (291:113161).
- Bennington, L. (2019). Pediatric oral health practices among nurses: A pilot study. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 45 (1).
- Isibel, D. (2018). Building interprofessional student teams for impactful community service learning. Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice 12 , pp. 83-85.
- Long, M., Cramer, R. J. and Bennington, L. K. (2018). A Systematic Review of Interventions for Healthcare Professionals to Improve Screening and Referral for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders. . Archives of Women’s Mental Health , pp. 1-12.
- Lee, A. H., Kelley, C., Alfes, C. M., Bennington, L. K. and Dolansky, M. A. (2017). High-fidelity patient simulation to evaluate student nurse patient safety competency. Clinical Simulation in Nursing 13 (12) , pp. 628-633.
- Bennington, L. K. (2015). Womb Outsourcing. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing 40 (5) , pp. 284-290.
- Bennington, L. K. (2012). Sacred healing stories told at the end of life. . Journal of Holistic Nursing 30 , pp. 69-80.
- Bennington, L. K. (2011). Breastfeeding multiples: It can be done. Newborn and Infant Nursing Review 11 (4) , pp. 194-197.
- Bennington, L. K. (2010). Can complementary alternative medicine be used to treat Infertility?. The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing 35 (3) , pp. 140-1147.
- Colberg-Ochs, S. R., Zarrabi, L., Bennington, L. K., Nakave, A., Somma, C. Thomas., Swain, D. P. and Sechrist, S. R. (2009). Postprandial walking is better for lowering the glycemic effect of dinner than pre-dinner exercise in type 2 diabetic individuals. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 10 (6) , pp. 394-397.
- Bennington, L. K. (2013). Immunogenetics Genetics and Genomics for Nursing Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Bennington, L. K. (2013). Mosaicism Genetics and Genomics for Nursing Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Bennington, L. K. (November , 2021). Breastfeeding Multiples Exhibit ESMED Congress Vienna, Austria.
- Bennington, L. K. (August 6, 2021). How to talk to your doctor Lecture Nana.org Workshop Zoom.
- Bennington, L. (November , 2017). How to make your doctor listen Oral Presentation Women’s Collaborative at Cake & Arrow Design New York, NY.
- Bennington, L. (July 27, 2017). Using service learning projects to enhance cognitive development via nursing research and its role in complex social issues for the baccalaureate student nurse Oral Presentation Faculty Symposia for Sigma Theta Tau International Dublin, Ireland.
- Benningnton, L. (February 17, 2017). Virginia Maternity Care Qualitative Improvement Collaborative Unpdate Oral Presentation LATCH Conference Portsmouth, VA.
- Bennington, L. (July 28, 2016). Development of a Spirituality Instrument Paper Sigma Theta Tau International Cape Town, South Africa.
- Bennington, L. (March , 2016). Interprofessional Education and Collaboration in Dental Hygiene. Oral Presentation Virginia Association of Dental Hygienists. Richmond, Virginia.
- Bennington, L. (September , 2014). The Evolution of Women’s Rights and Healthcare in the United States Other University of Kitakyshu in Japan Kitakyshu, Japan.
- Bennington, L. (August , 2014). The Developing Fetus and Outcomes Lecture Graduate Program, Darden School of Education.
- Bennington, L. K. ( 2008). Universal Precautions Norfolk, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (August , 2008). The PreEclampsia Puzzle Norfolk, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (July , 2008). Preterm Labor Norfolk, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (May 2, 2008). Viewpoints on Complementary Alternative Medicine Richmond, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (April , 2005). Prenatal Testing Norfolk, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (November 14, 2003). Spirituality in Nursing Richmond, VA.
- Bennington, L. K. (January , 2003). Composition of Amniotic Fluid Norfolk, VA.
- 2020: Most Inspirational Faculty, COHS
- 2015: Most Inspirational Faculty, COHS
- 2013: Most Inspirational Faculty, COHS
- 2012: Most Inspirational Faculty, COHS
- 2010: Most Inspirational Faculty, College of Health Sciences