Kristine Sunday is an Associate Professor of Teaching and Learning, Undergraduate Program Director for Early Childhood Education, and Co-Director of the Daren College of Education and Professional Studies' Literacy Center. She earned her PhD in Art Education from the The Pennsylvania State University in 2011.
Ph.D. in Art Education, Pennsylvania State University, (2011)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Eckhoff, A. "Early Childhood Symposium" $10000. Private. January, 2015 - ,
As a researcher, Kristine draws from post-structural theories and qualitative research methods to pose questions about children, learning, and the visual arts, in early childhood classrooms.
- Sunday, K. E. (2020). Drawing and the emergent curriculum in the early childhood classroom. Art Education .
- (2018). Beyond art education: Drawing and young children in early childhood education. . International Journal of Education and the Arts 19 (1).
- (2018). Dinner theater in a toddler classroom: Environment as teacher . Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood , pp. 1-11.
- (2017). Drawing and Storytelling as Political Action: Difference, plurality, and coming into presence in the early childhood classroom. International Journal of Art and Design Education.
- Sunday, K. E. (2015). Relational making: Re/imagining theories of child art. Studies in art education 56 (3) , pp. 288-340.
- Sunday, K. E. (2014). Introductions. Bank Street Occasional Papers 31.
- Sunday, K. E. (2013). Relational Spaces of becoming in research with children. . International Journal of Education and the Arts.
- Sunday, K. E. (2013). "I'm going to have to draw it to find out": Cognitive intersections between playing, knowing, and the formation of egocentric speech. International Journal of Art in Early Childhood Research Journal.
- Sunday, K. E. (). "Playing with identity": Fluidity, power and possibilities from virtual girl world. Arts and Learning Research Journal (26(1)) , pp. 35-50.
- Thompson, C. M. (2015). New directions in researching young children’s art making Handbook of research methods in early childhood education (pp. 393-431) Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Dunkerly-Bean, J. M. (April , 2015). Poverty is two coins: Preschoolers explore global social justice issues through children’s literature and ar Other American Educational Research Association Chicago, IL.
- (March , 2015). Developing, learning and using the art studio: Young children’s experiences with the visual arts Other Early Childhood Symposium Norfolk, VA.
- Eckhoff, A. (March , 2015). Documentation through student work Other Early Childhood Symposium Norfolk VA.
- Kaplan, H. (March , 2015). Loose Parts: Celebrating 20 years of Early Childhood Art Educator Other National Art Education Association New Orleans, LA.
- (March , 2015). Re/Design: the design, modification, and use of children’s material culture. Paper National Art Education Association New Orleans, LA.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2012). Being there and relational research: researching the artistic practices of young children Paper International Congress for Qualitative Inquiry Chicago, IL.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2012). Dialogues of child art: emerging theoretical perspectives Paper National Art Education Association New York, NY.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2012). Performing Public Pedagogies of Violence Reading of Creative Work/Performance National Art Education Association New York, NY.
- ( 2012). Spaces of conviviality: children’s drawing performances at the crossroads of teaching, learning, and research Paper National Art Education Association New York, NY.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2011). Playing, knowing and egocentric speech: Cognitive intersections Paper International Art in Early Childhood Toledo, OH.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2011). Activity theory: History, elements and applications in concemtporary art education research Paper National Art Education Association .
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2011). Concepts of play and creativity: complexities of young children's drawing performances Paper National Art Education Association Seattle, WA.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2011). Spaces for meaning making in teacher-centered curriculum: the visual arts and early childhood education Paper National Art Education Association Seattle, WA.
- ( 2011). Relational making – Making Relations: thinking and knowing as Paper Reconceptualizing Early Childhood London, England.
- Sunday, K. E. ( 2010). Remembering Santa Claus: Adolescent nostalgia for children’s Paper American Educational Research Association Denver, CO.
- Sunday, K. E. (October , 2010). Understanding Santa: Children’s thinking in peer mediated drawing groups Keynote/Plenary Address Reconceptualizing Early Childhood Dalton, GA.
- Sunday, K. E. (March , 2010). Drawing as early childhood methodology. Paper National Art Education Association Washington DC.