Dr. Chen received her Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology and M.S. in Industrial Engineering at Purdue University in 2015. Dr. Chen joined ODU's Psychology Department in 2017.
Ph.D. in Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, (2015)
M.S. in Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, (2015)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Chen, J. "NSF IIS core: CHS: Small: AI-Human Collaboration in Autonomous Vehicles for Safety and Security" $500000. Federal. , 2020 - , 2023
- Yamani, Y. "NSF REU Site: Interdisciplinary Research Experience in Behavioral Sciences of Transportation Issues" $350840. Federal. , 2020 - , 2023
- Iftekharuddin, K. M. "NSF: SCC-IRG Track 2: Scalable Modeling and Adaptive Real-time Trust-based communication (SMARTc) system for roadway inundations in flood-prone communities" $1483427. Federal. , 2020 - , 2023
- Chen, J. "NSF: CRII: CHS:Human in the Loop: Safety for Semi-autonomous Driving Systems in Emergency Situations" $174989. Federal. , 2016 - , 2019
Dr. Chen’s Human-Automation Collaboration (HAC) Lab investigates the fundamental principles of human performance and decision-making, and applies these principles to real-world problems. Dr. Chen’s team has worked safety-critical systems such as semi-autonomous driving systems and phishing detection systems in the cyber space.
- Chen, J. (2020). Risk communication in cyberspace: A brief review of the information-processing and mental models approaches. Current Opinion in Psychology.
- Yamaguchi, M. (2019). Affective influences without approach-avoidance actions: On the congruence between valence and stimulus-response mappings. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review..
- Šabić, E. (2019). Toward a better understanding of in-vehicle auditory warnings and background noise. Human Factors..
- Chen, J. (2018). Display of major risk categories for android apps. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 24 (3) , pp. 306-330.
- Yamaguchi, M. (2018). Flowers and spiders in spatial stimulus-response compatibility: does affective valence influence selection of task-sets or selection of responses?. Cognition and Emotion 32 (5) , pp. 1003--1017.
- Chen, J. (2018). The description-experience gap in the effect of warning reliability on user trust and performance in a phishing detection context. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies 119 , pp. 35-47.
- Hu, B. (2017). Optimal Task Allocation for Human–Machine Collaborative Manufacturing Systems. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 2 (4) , pp. 1933–1940.
- Chen, J. (2017). Role of accentuation in the selection/rejection task framing effect. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General 146 (4) , pp. 543-568.
- Song, X. (2017). Role of hand dominance in mapping preferences for emotional-valence words to keypress responses. Acta Psychologica 180 , pp. 33–39.
- Seibold, J. C. (2016). Exploring handedness asymmetries in the Simon effect. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 78 (2) , pp. 437–451.
- Chen, J. (2015). Influence of response-effect feedback on learning and performance of a complex key-pressing task: Morin and Grant (1955) revisited. American Journal of Psychology 128 , pp. 197-208.
- Chen, J. (2015). Influence of risk/safety information framing on android app-selection decisions. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making 9 , pp. 149-168.
- Proctor, R. W. (2015). The role of human factors/ergonomics in the science of security: decision making and action selection in cyberspace. Human Factors 57 (5) , pp. 721–727.
- Yamaguchi, M. (2015). Transfer of learning in choice reactions: The roles of stimulus type, response mode, and set-level compatibility. Memory & Cognition 43 (6) , pp. 825–836.
- Chen, J. (2014). Conceptual response distance and intervening keys distinguish action goals in the Stroop color-identification task. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 21 (5) , pp. 1238–1243.
- Song, X. (2014). Correspondence effects with torches: Grasping affordance or visual feature asymmetry?. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 67 (4) , pp. 665–675.
- Gates, C. (2013). Effective Risk Communication for Android Apps. EEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing 11 , pp. 252-265.
- Baroni, G. (2013). Mechanisms underlying transfer of task-defined rules across feature dimensions. Experimental Psychology 60 , pp. 410-424.
- Chen, J. (2013). Response–effect compatibility defines the natural scrolling direction. Human Factors 55 (6) , pp. 1112–1129.
- Proctor, R. W. (2012). Dissociating influences of key and hand separation on the Stroop color-identification effect. Acta Psychologica 141 (1) , pp. 39–47.
- Chen, J. (2012). Influence of category identity on letter matching: Conceptual penetration of visual processing or response competition?. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 74 , pp. 716-729.
- Unverricht, J. (2019). Attention maintenance training: Are young drivers getting better or being more strategic? Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 1991--1995).
- Mishler, S. (2019). Effects of Anthropomorphic Phishing Detection Aids, Transparency Information, and Feedback on User Trust, Performance, and Aid Retention Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 183--183).
- McManus, W. (2019). The Effects of Vehicle Level Of Automation and Warning Type on Responses to Vehicle Hacking Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 1977--1977).
- Chen, J. (2018). Conveying Automation Reliability and Automation Error Type An Empirical Study in the Cyber Domain Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 172--173).
- Mishler, S. (2018). Effect of Response Method on Driver Responses to Auditory Warnings in Simulated Semi-autonomous Driving Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 1934--1938).
- Mishler, S. (2017). Description-Experience Gap: The Role of Feedback and Description in Human Trust in Automation Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 313–313) Human Factors & Ergonomics Society.
- Sabic, E. (2017). Recognition of Car Warnings: An Analysis of Various Alert Types Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 2010–2016).
- Yang, W. (2017). Use of Phishing Training to Improve Security Warning Compliance: Evidence from a Field Experiment Proceedings of the Hot Topics in Science of Security: Symposium and Bootcamp (pp. 52–61).
- Chen, J. (2016). Display of Major Risk Categories for Mobile Apps Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 779–779).
- Jorgensen, Z. (2015). Dimensions of Risk in Mobile Applications: A User Study Proceedings of the 5th ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and Privacy (pp. 49–60).
- Yang, W. (2015). Effectiveness of a phishing warning in field settings Proceedings of the 2015 Symposium and Bootcamp on the Science of Security (pp. 14).
- Chen, H. (2015). Towards quantification of firewall policy complexity Proceedings of the 2015 Symposium and Bootcamp on the Science of Security (pp. 18).
- Chen, J. (2014). Framing of Summary Risk/Safety Information and App Selection Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 58th Annual Meeting.
- Gates, C. (2012). CodeShield: towards personalized application whitelisting Proceedings of the 28th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (pp. 279–288).
- Chen, J. (2012). Up or Down: Directional Stimulus-Response Compatibility and Natural Scrolling Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (pp. 1381–1385).
- 2021: Outstanding Faculty Research Award, Department of Psychology
- 2019: Faculty Proposal Preparation Program Award, ODU
- 2019: Rising Star Award, Association for Psychological Science
- 2017: George E. Briggs Dissertation Award, American Psychological Association