Dr. Flory received his B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering at Virginia Tech in 1984 at which time he joined the Lighting Division of Hubbell Incorporated as a product development engineer. During his 17 year tenure with Hubbell Incorporated he was promoted to positions including Chief Electrical Engineer and Manager of Electrical Engineering. He has extensive experience in product design and development, testing and failure analysis, and has served on several professional committees involved in the creation of standards for the domestic lighting industry. He has been awarded 25 United States Patents and is a licensed Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Dr. Flory is currently an Associate Professor and former Chair of the Engineering Technology Department at Old Dominion University where he was the recipient of the 2007 Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology Excellence in Teaching Award. He performs research in the areas of energy conversion, energy conservation, alternative energy systems, and since joining Old Dominion University he has been the principal or co-principal investigator on research programs totaling over five hundred thousand dollars. He has published in both technical and educational journals as well as a number of refereed conference proceedings. He teaches engineering and engineering technology courses in power systems, energy conversion, alternative energy systems, circuit analysis, analog and digital electronics, and technical analysis. He received M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 1993 and 2008 respectively.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, (2008)
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, (1993)
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, (1984)
- Professional Engineer
- Sponsoring Organization: Commonwealth of Virginia
- Date Obtained: 1995-06-13
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Flory Iv, I. L. "Intelligent High Efficiency Street Lighting" $75000.00. Federal. June, 2010 - June, 2012
- Flory Iv, I. L. "Virginis Energy & Environmental Netwook (VEEN)- Energy Solutions Incentive" $50000. Old Dominion University. September, 2007 - August, 2008
- Flory Iv, I. L. "Biomass, Feasibility and Support of Biomass and Waste-to-Energy Projects in Virginia Administered by the Virginia Energy and Environmental Network" $299848. . September, 2006 - August, 2008
- Flory Iv, I. L. "Virginia Energy and Environmental Network Continuation" $20000. Old Dominion University. January, 2005 - December, 2005
- Flory Iv, I. L. "" $4000. . March, 2005 - April, 2005
- Flory Iv, I. L. "" $1872. Old Dominion University. March, 2005 - April, 2005
- Flory Iv, I. L. (2008). The Energy and Financial Impacts of High-Intensity Discharge Lighting System Component Selection and Luminaire Maintenance in Industrial Lighting Applications. LEUKOS: The Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America 5 (2) , pp. 119-138.
- Verma, A. K. (2017). Institutionalizing continuous improvement plan in an engineering technology department - closing the loop ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Flory Iv, I. L. (November 11, 2010). Green Lighting Solar Decathlon Inter-University Meeting .
- Flory Iv, I. L. (March 17, 2009). Green Lighting: An Update Engineering Unplugged Conference .
- Flory Iv, I. L. (March 17, 2009). Lighting Design Strategies for the Minimization of Life-Cycle Cost, Energy Consumption and Environmental Impact Engineering Unplugged Conference .
- Flory Iv, I. L. (March , 2008). The Economics of Lighting System Performance VATPDC Lunch and Learn Energy Seminar II .
- Flory Iv, I. L. (October 19, 2006). The Development of Cross Discipline Plans of Study within Existing Engineering Technology Programs to Sastify Industry Needs LJME-Intertech Conference 2006 Keane University, New Jersey.
- Flory Iv, I. L. (June 8, 2006). The Virginia Energy and Environmental Network Virginia Energy Symposiuim Newport News, VA.
- Flory Iv, I. L. (April , 2005). The Need for Lighting Technology Education in Engineering Technology Curricula 2005 American Society for Engineering Education Southeast Section Conference Chattanooga, TN.
- Flory Iv, I. L. (September 22, 2004). Energy Efficient Machinery 2nd Annual Virginia Industry Environmental Conference .
- 2011: Excellence in Learning Award, Engineering Technology Department
- 2007: Excellence in Teaching Award, Frank Batten College of Engineering & Technology