What is Modeling & Simulation Engineering?
- A Unique Program of Study
- A discipline focused on advancing and using the theories and practices of selecting appropriate modeling techniques, creating associated models, executing models dynamically over time, utilizing visualizations for Verification & Validation, and evaluating a range of possible solutions through analytical techniques. Then, applying this knowledge in many domains.
- Creating a Model of an Existing or Perceived System
- A model is an abstract representation of a system.
- Simulating the System Using the Developed Model
- Computer simulation is an applied methodology in which the behavior of complex systems is described using a model (mathematical or symbolic and often stochastic) and executed on a digital computer.
- Components of the model are updated in an appropriate manner (in serial, parallel or distributively) and with regards to time and causality.
- Visualizing the Simulation/Model to Promote Understanding and Verification & Validation
- Scientific visualization of data, model performance and results allows verification and face validation of the model.
- Analyzing a Broadened Solution Space to Make the Best Decision
- Since simulation allows easy changes to inputs and structural considerations, differing solutions are produced, one must know how to compare and select the best solution.
Modeling & Simulation Engineering Advantages
- Broad Approach to Engineering
- Applicable to all engineering and science disciplines
- Engineering is about problem-solving and M&S engineering is about finding and understanding a range of solutions to provide the basis to choose.
- High Demand for M&SE Professionals
- M&S jobs are available in many U.S. and international locations
- Starting Point for Other Professional Careers
- Strong curriculum stressing development of problem solving skills
- Excellent preparation for careers in medicine, law, business, and education
- Excellent Preparation for Innovation
- Engineering provides skills required to design new solutions to societal problems
- M&SE instills the methods and tools supportive of innovation - rapid design and modeling, cost-saving simulation, effective visualization, robust analysis, and communication across technical boundaries
CMSE Advisory Board
The CMSE Department Advisory Board consists of recognized leaders in the M&S Community and plays an essential role in helping to shape the future of the Department.