Sophomore Success News - October 2013
The Fall semester is in full swing, and all the hustle and bustle of a new academic year has finally settled down. Now it's time to start thinking about Fall Break and mid-terms. Check out some tips below for how to make the most of each of these. It's also almost time for course registration. This year both spring and summer registration will take place in November, so you need to have a plan in place for both semeters. Your advisor is sure to be busy as registration gets closer, so contact him/her now to set up an appointment so that you will be ready when your pre-registration day arrives. Set yourself up for success!
Thank you to those of you who joined us for our second annual Sophomore Tailgate. It was a great success!
Mid-Term Study Strategies
Mid-term exams are fast approaching. Don't get stressed out! Start prepping now with these great study strategies.
- Review your notes daily. Research shows that reviewing new material within 24 hours after originally hearing it greatly increases retention.
- Read your textbook. It's not just a paperweight. Reading assigned chapters before class will help you to better understand the lectures, and reviewing them after class can help clear up any confusion you may have.
- Begin studying now. Don't wait until the last second. Study a little each day to keep stress levels down.
- Use proven study methods like highlighting, flash cards, and study partners. They're classics for a reason!
- Don't pull an all-nighter. The lack of sleep makes it harder to concentrate and negates the benefit of studying more.
- Take frequent breaks. Study fatigue makes it less likely that you'll really remember the information. Grab a snack, go for a quick jog, or just move to a different study spot.
- Chew some gum, eat a peppermint, or put on some cologne while you study, and then do the same when you take the test. Studies have shown that experiencing the same scents during testing as you did while studying can improve your ability to recall the material.
Fall Break Fun
Fall Break is a great time to relax and spend a few days away from the stress of school. As it cools down, it's wonderful to get outside and have some fun, even if you're staying right here in Hampton Roads. Give some of these Fall Break activities a try.
Go ziplining. Take a short drive to Williamsburg, and check out Go Ape's Freedom Park. It's a 2-3 hour treetop adventure course complete with obstacles, tarzan swings, and of course, ziplines.
Get lost in a corn maze. Gather your friends and head down to Bergey's Breadbasket in Chesapeake. This year's maze is beach-themed, and for the price of admission, you also get access to wagon rides, sack races, a petting zoo, and corn hole boards, as well as one shot on their corn gun.
Play touch football on the beach. It may be getting too cold to get in the water, but that doesn't mean you can't still have fun at the beach. Get your teams together and venture out to any local beach to play in the sand. Can't get off campus? Head over to Whitehurst Beach on the west end of campus.
Have a campfire. Use a fire pit to create a perfect end to a beautiful autumn day. Break out the marshmallows and make some s'mores with friends.
A Few Seconds
- October 2: Name Your Car Day
- Second Oldest NFL Team: Chicago Bears
- Second Largest City in the United States: Los Angeles
- Second Most-watched TV Series Finale of All Time: Cheers
Important Dates & Upcoming Events
Monday, September 30-Sunday, October 6
Study Abroad Fair
Tuesday, October 1
10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
North Mall, Webb Center
Homecoming Student/Alumni Networking Event
Tuesday, October 1
6 p.m.-8 p.m.
River Rooms, Webb Center
Sophomore Success Luncheon with the College of Sciences
Tuesday, October 8
12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
James/Lynnhaven River Rooms, Webb Center
Saturday, October 12-Tuesday, October 15
Physics Department Open House
Saturday, October 19
1 p.m.-5 p.m.
OCNPS, First Floor Atrium
Virginia Space Grant Consortium Luncheon
Monday, October 21
11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Learning Commons, Room 1310-1311
Click here for more.
ODU Career Fair
Tuesday, October 22
10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Dinner & Discussion for Communications Majors
Wednesday, October 23
6 p.m.-8 p.m.
ODU Out: Pridefest 2013
Saturday, October 26
11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Breastival & Fun Walk
Thursday, October 31