Hampton Roads Sea Level Rise & Flooding Adaptation Forum - 2nd Meeting
- 03/13/2013 9:00 AM - 03/13/2013 3:00 PM
- Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center (VMASC) - 1030 University Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23435
- A joint meeting of the Hampton Roads Sea Level Rise/Flooding Adaptation Forum and the Central East Coast Chapter of the American Shore & Beach Preservation Association - details and registration below
- Download event as ICS file
Best Practices and Communications Strategies for Adapting Sea Level Rise and Flooding
A collaboration among Virginia Sea Grant, the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, Old Dominion University's Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Initiative and the American Beach and Shore Preservation Association, this Forum is the second in a series of four to be held in 2012-2014. The overarching goals of the Forums are to:
- Promote open discussion and in-depth exploration surrounding the adaptation to SLR-exacerbated flooding in our communities;
- Facilitate information sharing about best practices for adapting to sea level rise and flooding among Hampton Roads officials and decision-makers;
- Capture the expertise, knowledge, best practices and concerns in our communities and nurture our local professional network through communication and information management.
Hampton Roads has a unique opportunity to collectively share and prioritize its needs, best practices, potential adaptation strategies, and impediments to implementation. The Forum will enhance and improve on existing committee processes within the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission: transportation, environmental planning and emergency management. A key objective of the Forum is to forge collaborations and networks with state and federal entities.
The goals of the first Forum were to:
- Gain an understanding of the state of the science;
- Network across localities/or across sectors within localities;
- Develop a consensus as to where we should go as a region with local governments and also with state partners.
The second Forum on March 13th will provide an opportunity to learn about:
- Central East Coast Chapter of the American Beach and Shore Preservation Association;
- Norfolk's City-wide Coastal Flood Study and mitigation initiatives (http://norfolk.gov/flooding/);
- FEMA Region III Coastal Analysis and Mapping project to update the Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps for the region - Science and Outreach - Jeff Hanson and Michelle Hamor, USACE
- USACE Flood Risk Management and Public Works Projects - Michelle Hamor, USACE
- Update from VIMS on the Recurrent Flooding Study for Tidewater Virginia submitted to the VA General Assembly in January 2013 - Molly Roggero, VIMS
- Maryland's Sea-Level Rise Projections - A briefing from the Working Group meeting which will take place on March 8th to respond to the MD Exec Order Climate Change and 'Coast Smart' Construction requiring a Scientific and Technical Working Group to provide updated projections based on an assessment of the latest climate change science and federal guidance." -- Larry Atkinson and Tal Ezer, ODU
Virginia Modeling, Simulation and Analysis Center of Old Dominion University
1030 University Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23435