What can I expect at Preview?
This is a tentative schedule. Students and parents/guests attend sessions together unless noted otherwise.
9:15 a.m. - Check-In, Webb Center front lobby, includes coffee and danishes
9:30 a.m. - Morning Welcome
10:00 a.m. - Panel (Safety and Finances)
10:20 a.m. - ODU Student to Student (Students only) and Don't Leave Campus Without It (Parents/Guests only)
11 a.m. - College Presentations
Noon - Lunch & Services Fair, Optional Campus Tour
1 p.m. - Class Registration (Students only) and Family Programming (Parents/Guests only)
3-4:30 p.m. - Financial Aid Walk-Ins
3:30-4 p.m. - Find Your Classroom Tours
5 p.m. - Program concludes (approximate time)
How much does it cost to attend on-campus Preview?
The cost of orientation programming (including the transfer online orientation) is included in a $75 New Student Transition Fee that the university assesses to all new, degree-seeking, non-distance undergraduates. The fee covers orientation and other transition programming offered throughout the year. It will be included in your tuition bill. However, if you choose to bring a parent/guest to Preview, there is a fee per parent/guest which should be paid when you register.
How much does it cost to bring a guest?
If you'd like to bring a parent/guest to Preview, there is a $25 fee per person, which should be paid when you register for the event. To make an online reservation, you may pay with Visa or MasterCard. The parent/guest fee helps defray the cost of catering and student staff. To pay by check/money order, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-683-3428 to request a hard copy of the brochure and reservation form.
When should I come to Preview?
Preview dates fill on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage you to make a reservation early. Any travel arrangements and/or hotel reservations should be made after your date is secure. Keep in mind that you'll enjoy greater flexibility while choosing your classes if you attend an earlier Preview.
You can see the dates that are currently available when you create an account in the reservation system.
Where can I find directions, transportation and lodging options?
Click here for a campus map, directions, transportation options, and a list of area hotels.
Overnight accommodations are also available in the ODU residence halls for students and families who wish to get a taste of the on-campus experience. The rate for these accommodations is $80 per night for a 4 person suite. Rooms include 4 twin beds with in-suite bathrooms. For more information and to reserve your room, please visit the Overnight Accomodations page and view the section about Preview.
What should I bring to Preview?
Please bring your MIDAS ID and password, University ID Number (UIN), a print-out of transfer credits, a photo ID to obtain your ODU ID card, a pen and paper. If you're majoring in the College of Business and Public Administration, you're also encouraged to bring a draft resume.
Where should I park?
Park in Gargage E (49th Street Stadium Parking Garage) on the second, third, or fourth floor. You do not need a parking permit to park in this garage during orientation. Please avoid reserved, metered, or handicapped spaces unless you have the appropriate tag. A staff member will direct you to Webb Center.
Is online orientation required?
Yes, you will need to take the Online Orientation before you can register for an on-campus Preview. There is a link to the Preview reservation site inside the Online Orientation.
What should I do before making a reservation?
- Pay your Admissions Fee and wait 2 business days for processing (Contact Admissions at 757-683-3685 for more information).
- Learn your University ID Number (UIN) and MIDAS ID.
- Read the New Student Checklist.
- Complete the Online Orientation.
- Understand the date change and cancellation policies.
After completing the Online Orientation and/or registering for Preview:
- Complete the Writing Sample Placement Test (WSPT) and Transfer Student Survey (TSS). These tests are located in Blackboard 3 business days after your Online Orientation/Preview reservation has been completed. While we recommend that you take the WSPT 3 weeks prior to Preview to ensure that it is graded before you register for classes, you may still attend Preview if you have not taken it.
- If you need to add a parent/guest to your Preview reservation, log in to the reservation system and click the 'Edit' button for the item you wish to change. Click 'Update' to save your changes. Please be aware that adding guests will change your Preview fee balance, which must be paid at the time you add the guests to your reservation.
How do I get started?
Once you have paid your Admission Deposit to confirm your spot at ODU, click the button below to be taken to the Online Orientation. If you have not paid your deposit, you will not be able to access the Online Orientation.