See below for resources and important announcements about ODU Music Education and ODU Teacher Education Services. Make this your first stop for ODU Music Education information; check back often for new content and announcements.
- Instrumental Concentration
- Vocal/Choral Concentration
- Keyboard/Guitar (Vocal/Choral Concentration)
- Dual Instrumental/Vocal Concentration
ODU Teacher Education Links
- ODU Teacher Education
- Teacher Education Handbook
- Required assessments for admission to ODU Teacher Education
- Teacher Education Admission/Application Procedures
- Professional Disposition Survey
Required Observation or Practicum Documents
Teacher Candidate Internship (Student Teaching) Documents
- ODU Field Experience Clearance Procedures
- Teacher Candidate Internship Application
- Teacher Candidate Internship Handbook
- Required First Aid, CPR and Defibrillator Training
Students are highly encouraged to contact Dr. Owens before registering for any exams, as exemptions may apply.
Praxis Core Test Information
- Praxis Core Academic Skills Test Dates (computer version)
- Praxis Core Academic Skills Test Dates (Paper version)
- Praxis Core Math (test 5732) Study Guide
- Register to take the Praxis Core Tests at the ODU Testing Center
- Praxis Core Off-Campus testing registration
VCLA Test Information (Tests VC091 and VC092 are required)
Praxis II Music Test Information (test 5113)
- Praxis II Music (test 5113) Test Dates
- Praxis II Music Test Guide and Sample Questions
- Praxis II Music Study Guide eBook
- Register to take the Praxis II Music Test at the ODU Testing Center
- Praxis II Music Off-Campus testing registration
Music Education Career
Licensing and Job Search
- Application for the Virginia Teaching License
- A Career Guide for Music Education
- Networking and the Job Search
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Educator Jobs
Music Education Organizations
- Virginia Music Educators Assn. (VMEA)
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Assn. (VBODA)
- Virginia Choral Direcotrs Assn. (VCDA)
- Virginia Elementary Music Educators Assn. (VEMEA)
- Virginia String Teachers Association (VASTA)
Music Education Advocacy
Composition and Technology in Music Education
Attention Teacher Education Candidates: Updates for admission to Approved Teacher Education Programs
- IMPORTANT! DO NOT Take Praxis I Tests after 12/31/13. Effective January 1, 2014, all students seeking admission to approved teacher education programs must take the Praxis Core tests or the equivalent. Passing scores on Praxis I achieved by December 31, 2013 continue to be valid and accepted for admission to approved teacher education programs. Students are highly encouraged to contact Dr. Owens before registering for any exams, as exemptions may apply.
- Teacher candidates registering for a course that requires a field experience as part of the approved professional education program must obtain a clearance prior to starting the field experience. This process may take up to eight weeks. Follow the instructions for completing this process at ODU Field Experience Clearance Procedures.
- Students may now register to take Praxis Core Tests and Praxis II Music Test at the Old Dominion University Testing Center.
Music Education Seniors: The Spring 2015 Student Teaching Application Deadline is quickly approaching; contact Dr. Owens today!
Do you plan to student teach in spring 2015? The regular deadline for the completed Teacher Candidate Internship (student teaching) application is August 1, 2014. In order to meet this deadline and to get Dr. Owens' required signature, plan to meet with him as soon as possible. Dr. Owens is frequently out of the area in the summer, so please make an appointment with him today. The appointment will take 15-20 minutes of your time. Late application is possible, but for a greatly increased fee. DO NOT MISS THIS DEADLINE, as doing so will add an additional semester to your time at ODU. The application and full details are located at the following link: http://odu.edu/tes/internship
If you are nearing the end of your degree program but are not sure of your status, let's talk!
ODU Collegiate NAfME/ASTA News:
ODU Collegiate NAfME/ASTA is back at ODU! Congratulations to officers Sarah Bass, President, Kelby Schnepel, Vice President, Jamie Payne, Treasurer and Chris Stadler, Secretary. Check your email and this site often for NAfME/ASTA updates and announcements.
Praxis Core Academic Test Study Guides Now Available
See the links to the left to access the free Praxis Core Academic test Study Guides. Please email Dr. Owens if you are unsure of which test to complete.
First Aid, CPR and Defibrillator training is now required with the application for the Virginia Teaching License.
All applicants for the initial licensure or renewal of a Virginia Teaching License shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscutation and the use of automated external defibrillators. Such certification is submitted with the application for the Virginia Teaching License; see the link at the left for details on the training process.
Music Student Handbook and Teacher Education Handbook
All students in Music Education must read the Music Student Handbook and ODU Teacher Education Handbook. The handbooks contain all pertinent information regarding the ODU Music and Teacher Education programs. You MUST READ both handbooks for your success in Music Education while at ODU. Download both handbooks today!
ODU Collegiate NAfME
Join the ODU Chapter of Collegiate NAfME today! The National Association for Music Education is the professional association and resource for your career as a music educator. Collegiate NAfME will provide experiences and assist you to make the important professional connections for your future. For more information, contact Dr. Owens, ODU Collegiate NAfME Advisor.