Founded in 1977, the Old Dominion University Symphony Orchestra (ODUSO) performs works from the standard classical and contemporary repertoire for full orchestra.
ODUSO is open to all students, faculty, and staff at Old Dominion University by audition. Community members may also audition and are considered on an as-needed basis.
In addition to a diverse repertoire from all periods and styles, the ODUSO:
- features ODU music faculty members as soloists
- hosts a department-wide Young Artist Competition in the fall with the winners appearing in the spring
- rotates presenting a side-by-side concert with leading high school orchestras in the region
The orchestra occasionally serves as a laboratory orchestra for composition, orchestration, and conducting students. Several concerts are performed each season featuring both symphonic and string orchestra literature, often in conjunction with the Concert Choir, Opera Workshop, and Musical Theatre productions.
Contact Dr. Kim for additional information about the ODU Symphony Orchestra.
- Russell Stanger String Quartet Scholarship
- Season Calendar
- Young Artists Competition