This form is for F-1 students and J-1 scholars ONLY.
Please inform ISSS before you leave the U.S.
so we can update our records and your SEVIS record appropriately. Failure to keep ISSS informed will result in an invalid visa status. This form should only be used if you will be away from ODU for less than five months.
If you will not be coming back to resume your academic program, please submit the Program Departure Form
Reason for Leave of Absence*
Important Information for F-1 Visa Holders Only
- If you are out of the U.S. for a semester or longer, you will need to re-activate your student file with the University. NOTE: This does not apply to Study Abroad program participantsor individuals doing academic research.
- If you did not take any classes during your absence, you simply need to submit a new admission application form (no fee is required).
- If you took classes in the U.S. or overseas during your absence, please submit a new admission application form (no fee required) and official transcripts.
- If you are out of the U.S. for five or more months, you will need to re-new your F-1 status with three steps: 1) obtain a new I-20 from International Admissions (new, original financial documentation will be necessary), 2) pay the SEVIS (I-901) fee and 3) obtain a new F-1 visa stamp from the U.S. consulate.
- You can re-enter the U.S. within 30 days of the start of the coming semester you will attend.