- The Arrival Assistance Service is only available from August 5 - August 19, 2013.
- The Arrival Assistance Service is only available for new international students.
- A new international student who wishes to receive the arrival assistance service must complete the arrival assistance online application and submit at least no later than 7 days prior to your arrival in Norfolk, VA.
- International students who arrive outside of the arrival assistance period and students with family must arrange their own transportation and accommodation at their own expense.
Congratulations and Welcome to Old Dominion University! The Office of Intercultural Relations (OIR) welcomes all new international students to Old Dominion University, and is committed to your success during your academic experience at ODU!
Arrival Assistance: Fall 2013 (Available from August 5, 2013 - August 19, 2013)
To assist new international students upon their arrival to Norfolk, OIR provides the Arrival Assistance Service. Upon request, there is pick up from the Norfolk airport (ORF) or bus station in Norfolk. Upon request and need, 1 or 2 nights of temporary accommodation will be arranged by OIR.
If you receive assistance from a student organization, a member of that organization will pick you up at your port of arrival and/or provide you with temporary accommodation, depending on what service(s) you requested. Temporary accommodation provided by volunteer will resemble a home-stay or host family setting. You will stay with a student in his or her own apartment and most likely, you will share a bathroom and may sleep in a spare bedroom, or on a couch or air
Upon submitted request, pick-up service is available only from the Norfolk (ORF) airport or bus station in Norfolk to the temporary housing provided by OIR. If a student arrives in another city than Norfolk, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange the transportation at his/her own expenses.
Upon submitted request, temporary accommodation will be provided for a maximum of 2 nights. All temporary accommodations will be shared. A student who wishes to stay longer will be responsible to pay at his/her own expense.
Arrival Assistance Process
- A new international student submits the request online at least 7 days prior to arriving in Norfolk. Fall 2013 Application
- Requests received after 7 days prior to Norfolk arrival will not be processed.
- OIR will send you a confirmation email, within 48 hours after receiving the arrival assistance application, confirming your application has been received.
- Upon your request, OIR will arrange with a volunteer for pick-up service. This process may take time to arrange and schedule with the volunteer. Thank you for your patience.
- Once OIR receives a confirmation from the volunteer, OIR will send a notification via email which includes contact information of the volunteer who will meet you at the airport.
- It is your responsibility to reply the email to confirm with OIR that you received the email and agree to stipulated terms of the service(s).
- Prior to your arrival, if there is any change to the original request, you must notify OIR immediately. Any change submitted less than 48 hours prior to your arrival may result in the cancellation of the arrival assistance service.
If you are an exchange student, please contact Office of Study Abroad for assistance:
- 2006 Dragas Hall
- Norfolk, VA 23529
- 757-683-5378 (office)
- 757-683-5196 (fax)
If you are an English Language Student, please contact the English Language Center for assistance: English Language Center
Dragas Hall 1108, Norfolk, VA 23529
Tel: (757) 683-4424 | Fax: (757) 683-4640
Website: English Language Center