- History & Social Justice
- Personal Fitness & Health
- Pre-clinical Psychology
- Crisis Communication & Climate Change
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Public Journalism in Digital Age
- Positive Communication
- Environmental Stewardship
- Writing for College Success
- Writing for College Success in Engineering
- Biology that Matters
- Disruptive Technologies in Healthcare
- Forensic Psychology & the Serial Killer
- Advanced Chemistry & Research Apprenticeship
- Creative Writing & Literary Research
- SCI-WRI: Research Writing in the Sciences
- Health Professions
Personal Fitness and Health - ALL MAJORS
In this learning community, you will explore personal fitness in relationship to mental health, body image, gender stereotypes, nutrition, popular culture, and social expectations.
Each LC member will develop an exercise routine based on their personal goals and a fitness evaluation conducted by a certified trainer provided by the Student Recreation Center. Students will work in five groups of four students with similar fitness interests/goals.
- Develop your skills in observation, thinking, ordering, and imagining.
- Collect ideas, shape and organize thoughts, then present those thoughts in coherent and focused essays and a formal presentation.
- Develop editing and revision skills used by successful speakers and writers
If you are interested in joining this community, simply register for one of the following sections of ENGL 110C:
- 16408 ENGL 110C, TR 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
- 10721 ENGL 110C, TR 1:30 pm - 2:45 pm
Or, if you already have credit for ENGL 110C, you may register for this section of ENGL 211C:
- 13465 ENGL 211C, TR 8:00 am - 9:15 am
- 13433 ENGL 211C, MWF 1:00pm - 1:50pm
Note: All URLC courses have registration blocks to ensure that they are reserved for URLC participants.
Students are encouraged to contact UGRlearningcommunities@odu.edu or the Honors College (3-4865) if interested in joining or learning more about an Undergraduate Research Learning Community. The HC will be happy to help first-year students find the right URLC.
Why did you join the Personal Fitness and Health Learning Community?
My advisor talked to me about it in my Preview, and it sounded really unique - something I would really be interested in.
What is the best part about being in a Learning Community?
You get to tie something you love, in with the curriculum, which definitely keeps me focused and makes learning more engaging. And being surrounded by people who are all interested in the same thing makes learning much more enjoyable and fun. You can learn so much just by interacting with people with the same hobbies.
What has been your favorite Personal Health and Wellness Learning Community activity and why?
I have always loved working out and the wellness class introduced me to fitness groups. My favorite of all was Pilates. Love it, love it, LOVE it!
Hometown: Hampton, VA
Major: Exercise Science
Interests: Running, reading, listening to music