|Missy Barber||Academic Affairs
||Career Management Center
||Student Conduct & Academic Integrity
||University Web Communications
||Student Conduct & Academic Integrity
||Board of Visitors
|Jason Phenicie||University Web Communications
|Alan Rogers||University Web Communications
|Tilghman Williams Jr.
||College of Sciences
Thursday, August 8, 2013
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- A sheet for planning out new layouts was distributed (can be downloaded at right). The PDF is printable so you can draw out your layouts or you can use small post-it notes to help plan out how to layout the content on a page.
- The new permissions system is now in place.
- The new permissions are more specific than the previous version - Users will have less access to pages that aren't theirs and others will have less access to your pages.
- Permissions are refreshed every Thursday evening, so if you are granted new access, it will be loaded and in effect for the start of business on Friday.
- The WCMS allow us to create a true web, where content is connected to other content in various ways. The content must live (physically exist) in one location, but can be surfaced (linked) from countless areas and appear the same.
- Using the list pages to list out a page from another section can make it appear as though the page is part of the suite of information that you are presenting on your page.
- To create context for the page you are listing (to differentiate it from other possibly similarly named pages), you have two options:
- At the source page, you can go into the page properties and change the "Page Title" to something more specific.
- On the page with the list pages, you can use headings above individual list pages to differentiate the different occurences of the content.
Example from the Meeting
Student Conduct & Academic Integrity has pages of information on student conduct for students and for parents and family. One of these pages lives under "About ODU > Monarch Citizenship" and the other lives under "Parents & Family." Both are named "Student Conduct."
In option one, they went into the page under "Parents & Family" and changed the Page Title to "Student Conduct Info for Families."
In option two, they created a separate section using the Section component (styled with a solid background) and placed a heading inside the section, followed by the list pages for the Parents & Family page:
Activating & Deactivating
- Activating a page will immediately publish it to the live website.
- Deactivating a page will immediately remove it from the live website.
- Warning about deactivation: Deactivating a page will also deactivate all of its child pages. Use deactivation with caution. (Activating only activates the selected page, so if you deactivate a large pipe, you will need to individually re-activate each page)
- CQ 5.6 offers the option to Deactivate a page from the Page Control tab in the sidekick.
- From the websites view, you can also Activate Later and Deactivate Later. This allows you to set a page to activate or deactivate on a specific date at a specific time.
- Once the Activate Later or Deactivate Later is set, it cannot be undone except by a back-end administrator in ITS.
- If a page is set to activate or deactivate later and the authoring environment is offline, the activation/deactivation will not take place until the authoring environment is back online.
- Any time Deactivate is selected, the system will prompt you to confirm your selection.
- List Assets
Notes on Uploading Assets
- If you pre-set your metadata, you can zip up multiple photos or PDFs and use the asset upload form. Check the "metadata is pre-set" selector and then upload your ZIP file under the first asset upload. - Only upload one ZIP file per form, please.
- The PDF description shows in the non-bulleted layouts for the List Assets component:
Next Meeting Preview
At the next users group meeting, we'll be taking a look at the following:
- New enhanced pages for campus buildings.
- New places & hours functionality that enables non-office entities (such as the Math & Science Resource Center or Starbucks in Webb) to have their own contact information. The hours system will allow offices to maintain their own calendars of when they are open and closed to display on the website.