Brand Description (68 words)
Old Dominion University is the residential research university in Norfolk Virginia for high-achieving students who want rigorous academics and an energized metropolitan lifestyle. With 24,000 undergraduates and graduate students from around the world, the campus is a rich, creative fusion of nationalities, cultures, interests, viewpoints, and life experiences. ODU's dynamic campus, its forward-focused attitude, and entrepreneurial mindset bring the concept of "idea fusion" to life and to learning.
1. Nationally recognized faculty with real-world expertise
- ODU professors are masters in their fields, recognized by peers, businesses, associations, and industries around the globe.
- Our professors combine outstanding academic credentials with real-world experience: pioneering authors and creators, cutting edge thinkers and doers, savvy business leaders.
- You get the newest knowledge, professional know-how, and the inside story.
- From idea to innovation to invention, students and faculty work together to shape the way we interact with the world and to give voice to the human experience.
- 26 ODU professors have won the Outstanding Faculty Award for innovative classroom teaching from the Virginia Council of Higher Education
- Dr. Stacy Ringleb, assistant professor in engineering, works on a $1 million modeling and simulation grant to help the U.S. Navy understand the effects of physical training on mission readiness.
2. Research & collaboration with business, industry and community partners
- Extensive collaboration with business, industry, organizations, and government agencies means the options for live-action-learning grow 1,000%.
- Because of wide-ranging partnerships, have hundreds of venues for student career-related learning, performance, and artistic expression to choose from.
- The academic benefits of a doctoral research university are pretty intense, and it's not unusual to see outside experts, CEOs, and leading problem solvers as classroom visitors.
- External partnerships provide students with networking opportunities to lock in connections that are invaluable after graduation.
- We place students in over 5,600 career-enhancing opportunities each year.
- Recent visiting lecturers include top execs from the Federal Reserve, Toyota, Homeland Security, U.S. Navy, Sentara Healthcare and NATO.
3. A community with a rich mix of nationalities, cultures & life experiences
- ODU is part of the cultural and commercial crossroads of Norfolk, so learning and living is a rich fusion of nationalities, languages, ages, viewpoints, and life experiences.
- When ideas and cultures converge, you make unexpected connections.
- ODU is the best of the best: a campus flowing with energy and vitality combined with an opportunity-rich city right outside the door.
- The ODU experience prepares you to excel in the world, anywhere in the world.
- Monarch Madness is a serious passion - more so now that big-time football is back.
- ODU is home to 26 Greek organizations and 17 honor societies.
- With 300 different student clubs and organizations, there's something for everyone.
- The Village is ODU's own campus neighborhood that combines offices, apartments, classrooms, restaurants, shops, and cafés.
4. Innovative, engaging, and relevant learning opportunities
- Our trademark is live-action-learning - equal parts thought and action, knowledge and skill.
- Education here gets you involved and engaged both in the classroom and outside it.
- Live-action-learning comes in many forms: Internships, co-ops, student research, service learning, clinical training and fieldwork.
- Our hands-on learning style gives you opportunities to challenge yourself and gain leadership experience in a thousand different ways.
- The Learning Commons is an innovative learning center with high-tech equipment, online aids, and people who know their business.
- ODU is the only doctoral university in the nation that guarantees every student practical career-related experience within their major - and for credit.
- With 154 different areas of study available at seven different colleges, you're sure to find the career path you're looking for.