[ skip to content ]
- David Metzger
- Dean, Honors College
- Honors College
- 2000-E Student Success Center
- Dr. David Metzger came to Old Dominion University in 1993 after teaching at Montana State University. He earned a B.A. in English and French and an M.A. in English from Emporia State University (Emporia, KS), an M.A. in Jewish Studies from Hebrew College (Boston), and a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition (classics minor) from the University of Missouri. The author and editor of four books and over forty single-authored articles and book chapters, he currently serves as Dean of the Honors College and Professor of English. From 2010-2013, he also served as the Interim Dean of Academic Enhancement and led the reorganization of that unit. Other administrative duties have included Chair of English, Founding GPD for the PhD in English, Founding Academic Director for the Institute for Jewish Studies and Interfaith Understanding, and Founding Director of Writing Tutorial Services (now The Writing Center). Dr. Metzger remains active in the English department--teaching classes and directing doctoral dissertations.
- Hebrew College (Boston),
Major: Jewish Studies
- University Of Missouri - Columbia,
Degree: Ph. D.
- Emporia State University,
Major: English Literature
- Emporia State University,
Major: French and English
- History of rhetoric (biblical, classical, modern)
- Metzger, D., and Schulman, P. (2006). Chasing Esther: Jewish Expressions of Cultural Difference. Santa Monica, CA & Haifa, Israel: Kol Katan Press/University of Haifa.
- Metzger, D. (2000). Medievalism and the Academy II: Cultural Studies. D.S. Brewer.
- Metzger, D., Verduin, K., and Workman, L. J. (1998). Medievalism and The Academy I: Medieval Studies. D.S. Brewer.
- Metzger, D. (1995). The Lost Cause of Rhetoric: the relation of rhetoric and geometry in Aristotle and Lacan. Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University Press.
- (2014). Maimonides' Contribution to a Theory of Self Persuasion.Jewish Rhetorics: History, Theory, Practice (pp. 112-130). Brandeis University Press.
- Metzger, D. (2011). "Bobby Who?: A Response to Diane Davis". Journal of Advanced Composition, 31 (2011), (pp. 273-282).
- Metzger, D., and Katz, S. (2010). The Place of Rhetoric in Aggadic Midrash. College English/NCTE, 72 (6), (pp. 639-653).
- 2014: "Champion of Diversity", Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
- 2012: "Living Learning Community of the Year", Student Engagement and Enrollment Services
- 2007: Award of Recognition for Outstanding Leadership and Service, IJIU Advisory Board
- 2006: Outstanding Service Award to Arts and Letters, College of Arts and Letters
- 1993: The NORCHE PRize for Instructional Innovation, Northern Rockies Consortium for Higher Education