Become an English Conversation Partner
Conversation Partner Program Overview
The English Language Center started up the conversation partner program as a way to give our students an opportunity to meet Americans, to practice their English with native speakers and to learn something about American culture.
How Does the Program Work?
- Students are matched based on availability, demand, and sometimes language preference.
- You may not receive a partner right away. Please be patient. Your application will not be ignored.
- If you sign up late in a semester, it is very difficult to match you with a university student and you may have to wait until next semester.
- We do not offer the Conversation Partner program during the summer semester.
- If, at any time, your partner does not contact you for more than a week, please tell me, and I will attempt to find you a new partner.
- Any person who fails to contact his or her partner for more than a week will be removed from the program for the rest of the semester.
- Any request for a new partner for any reason (aside from a problem with matching time availability) will be honored only in special cases.
- Program participants will be placed on an email list where they will receive ideas about conversation topics and meet-ups.
- Program participants are welcome to join the “ELC Conversation Partners” Facebook group.
How Can I Sign Up?
There are two ways to sign up:
Complete an online application:
Application for English-Speaking Volunteers
- Application for Internationals
- Application for English-Speaking Volunteers
- Visit www.odu.edu/esl/conversation-partner, print and complete the appropriate application, and email it to email@example.com.
Please note that this program is open to ODU students, faculty, visiting scholars and alumni. Participants must have a valid ODU email address.
Please contact Laura Ray (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Posted By: Laura Ray
Date: Thu Aug 22 12:34:11 EDT 2013